Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Yo, I Got An Idea.."



About a year and a half ago I got a call from my man Spike Lee's advertising company, Spikeddb and they had a Pepsi ad that they needed musical interpretation for. The catch was they had to present it to Pepsi in 24 hours so they wanted to meet me on some 11th hour ish to break the concept down. They basically wanted "mashups" (thats how dude in charge of the music described 'em) of popular hiphop songs blending into and eventually "mashing" with popular alternative and rock records. They asked me to submit 3 different 30 second slots and i had till the morning to do so. No sweat. I hollered at my peoples Jao and Stos and we went to his peoples Blair Wells crib and knocked out two really corny and cheesy mixes that I knew they'd never clear anyway. The third mix I submitted was actually a record from the group we were involved in at the time, Petelshot and figured it would be a chance for us to maybe break something new, dope and most importantly "$free$" to both Spikeddb and Pepsi while getting the band some exposure in the process. Needless to say I emailed them 3 mp3's that night. Cheesemiester in charge of the music the next morning emails me and leaves me a voicemail going nuts about the Petelshot piece and gassed me to the point where I thought we had something. Flash forward, NBA All-Star game 2008. As I'm sittin in the crib watching the wackest basketball game ever televised, a Pepsi commercial comes on. Immediately i notice the pendulum balls swinging and it was exactly as they'd described the concept to me. Then outa nowhere, Skateboard P pops up and the rest is history. Funny thing, peep how he ends the commercial by telling dude on the jack, "Yo, I got an idea.." lol..


For the heck of it, heres the mp3's of what i sent em..

Snoop/Maroon 5 Mix
Curtis/Modest Mouse Mix
Petelshot 2 Worlds Collide Mix


*I wonder if P got to listen to the Petelshot piece prior to gettin' busy..

No comments: