Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Song.. aka Original Flava Tuesdays



For this joint I chose to shed light on a song I actually play in the crib more often than the hip-hop version it was sampled by. The song is called "My Song" by Labi Siffre sampled by Kanye West on the aforementioned "I Wonder" off his recent smash "Graduation" (and for the record I dig "I Wonder" a lot so it's no diss to Ye's joint). Well Labi isn't new to the sample game but he's always been a lil iffy about what he clears..
For Eminem's single "My Name Is," Dre tried to sample Labi's song "I Got The ..." off the album "Remember My Song".  Siffre objected to what he describes as "lazy writing" on Em's part..(in the sleeve notes of the EMI re-mastered CD of the source album Remember My Song): "Attacking two of the usual scapegoats, women and gays, is lazy writing. If you want to do battle, attack the aggressors not the victims".
Tough words by homie. Maybe it has something to do with the fact homie's openly gay and been living with his civil partner for like 44 years. Funny but in hindsight, Kanye comin' out the closet for his gay uncle or cousin a while back may have been just another instance of things working in his favor..

Labi Siffre - "My Song"

* Homie Labi on his technology game too. peep his blog..

** Sidebar: Ski had used the "I Got The.." sample for Jiggaman's "Streets Is Watching" off a European compilation like 4 years earlier than Dre. Funny thing is I remember buying that comp in London and thinkin' I had found shangri-la as I was sure noone had it back home, the net wasn't poppin' like that as recent as 10 years ago.. Me having just copped an mpc2000 was officially on my producer shit.. Well I remember like it was yesterday landing in JFK and gettin' in the cab and askin the cabdriver to throw on hot 97.. It happen to be mixmaster weekend and my homie S&S was going in crazy on a new Jay joint... There went my big find..

No comments: